9.09.2009

Travel and Travail

Last Saturday and Sunday, I chased the sun around the world. As dramatic as that sounds, that’s sincerely how it felt. After a sleepless night of packing (or cramming stuff into things that weren’t meant to hold twice their weight), I boarded a plane from NYC to Los Angeles. I could tell that some of my fellow passengers were also making their way to Korea, evidenced by the snickering heard whenever I’d take out my bright yellow Easy As Il, Ee, Sam Korean Language book. Whatever, teenage Korean girl sitting next to me. At least I’m trying!

Transferred from United to Asiana upon arrival in LA. Walked with my bulging tumor of a carry-on to the gate and paid $20 for a veggie sandwich, fountain drink and fruit cup.

On the plane to Incheon, I was the only non-Asian within sight. The plane was decked out with individual TV screens (like Jet Blue) – and I watched a terrific Korean film, Castaway On the Moon. Highly recommended. Also, the title pretty much summed up how I felt during the entire plane ride to Seoul. Neverending blinding daylight, unable to communicate with anyone around me and half-crazy from sleep deprivation. The constant sunlight was made stranger by the attendants insisting on closing every window for the entire trip. Strange feeling: knowing that it’s blindingly white outside, but forced into a cave-like environment for an inordinate amount of time. It felt as though I was on some lost episode of The Twilight Zone, drifting in an out of consciousness, eating food I’d never seen before (some dishes packaged in toothpaste tubes), strapped into an uncomfortable chair where aliens would observe me as they trotted by. The movies were my one respite and boy, did I take advantage. I even managed to watch New In Town after exhausting every other semi-decent option. Somehow the pinched face of Renee Zelwegger provided a weird comfort for me. I remember reading an article in The New Yorker about some American’s travels in Siberia and how, after traveling the barren landscape for several days, he found comfort in the occasional presence of American-like retail strips (or as I like to call them: concrete wastelands- like the town I grew up in.) It was akin to that.

Before I knew it (or rather, a long-ass time later) – I was in Suwon, awkwardly greeting my new Korean neighbors and standing in bewilderment at the size of my new apartment. Beyond small. But I suppose I shouldn’t complain since I’m not paying rent. Yeah, I shouldn’t. I won't mention it again.

So now I’m here. It’s my 3rd day of teaching. There is, of course, lots of other stuff to note, but I wanted to begin with my harrowing journey here so that I don’t forget how I got here and that I did in fact, come here from another country- another city. New York City. That’s correct, right? Yes, I think so.

With my poor object constancy, it’s easy to feel as though I was dropped from the sky one day a long time ago and have been living here as a foreigner for some time. Honestly, it seems my object constancy is what helps me transition from one place to another. Pairing that with my lack of ‘normal’ foundations (e.g. religion, a dominant ethnicity, an attachment to family, etc.) – moving to a foreign country isn’t as difficult as one might think. Certain negatives have become positives here. My paranoia that everyone is staring at me has been completely justified (everyone really IS staring at me ALL of the time). Also, feeling like the requisite ‘other’ now has its place here. In a way, the confirmation of my paranoia and feeling alone is helpful. Because now I can focus on other things. Like learning Korean, finishing my script, getting healthy, et al…

I hope this feeling lasts.

8 comments:

  1. I knew this was going to be a good blog. You're off to a great start with this first post. I still want to know about visiting the Korean Doctor. You have to talk about it next time!

    ReplyDelete
  2. 1. "I chased the sun around the world". Best opening line ever.
    2. Why did you have to pay $20 for a meal, didn't the feed you on the plane?
    3. I know how you feel about "New In Town". Familiarity is always a comfort, even if it's something you don't paticularly like.
    4. What do you mean you don't have a dominant ethnicity?
    -Ian

    ReplyDelete
  3. I'm so glad you're doing this! Well written and entertaining. I give it two thumbs up for letting me live vicariously through your words. Way better than my lame blog.

    Btw, you should have slapped that Korean teenager with your Korean book. What are your children like? You know, the ones you're teaching. I feel another post coming on!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I think my favorite part of this blog yet is the expression on your profile picture. Hahaha.

    ReplyDelete
  5. hey-- thanks everybody! What encouraging words. I never know how my writing comes off to other people-- so these comments are inspiring.

    Brandon: you need to start your own blog.

    Ian: I bought the $20 meal before boarding since I hadn't eaten in 24 hours...then they fed me toothpaste tube meals on the plane. Also, re: dominant ethnicity, I'm a mutt, remember?

    Sarika: I want to read your blog! Please send me the link.

    Cat: I knew you'd approve of the profile pic. ;) I think it captures my truest essence.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Best. Opening. For. A. Blog. EVAH!!!

    Cheers.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Excellent post, Summers. Slap a couple of Koreans in the mouth in my honor!

    ReplyDelete