9.20.2009

Some stuff about my school

So people have been asking about my day-to-day at work, which I usually don’t talk or write about. But some of you are pretty nice, so I’ll give it a go.

I’m teaching at an all girls high school in Suwon. I have 17 classes throughout the week, two of which are ‘teacher classes’ where the focus is mainly on conversation. One class is for all the English teachers in the school and the other is for any non-English teacher that wants to learn more English. I’m at school from 8am – 4pm and have lunch at noon everyday. These are the healthiest lunches I’ve ever eaten. Also, now that I’m not eating meat, sometimes I can only eat the daily white rice and vegetable dish (usually some variant of kimchi.) Thankfully, a nice Korean lady comes around at 10am every morning and gives me yogurt, for which I pay a monthly fee. She saves me on days when I can only eat the rice.

Things of note about the school:

  • Even though it’s public, every girl wears a uniform (white top and maroon skirt, w/some variation). And since every girl has the same hair color and roughly the same haircut, I’m a big racist and can’t remember most of their names. (might also be cos I’m teaching 500+ students)
  • The students don’t go home after 4pm—they stay at the school and study until 10PM! I still can’t get over this fact and have not gotten used to seeing herds of schoolgirls walking the streets late at night by themselves.
  • At around 2pm everyday, every student takes 10 minutes to…clean the school. I’ll be in the teacher’s lounge and a nice Korean girl will be sweeping behind my desk and another, cleaning my coffee cup. Now that’s what I call service! :-/
  • The bathrooms: toilet paper is not a given, so you have to carry a roll around w/you at all times. Also, there’s about 1 or 2 regular (Western) toilets and the rest are squat toilets. The use of the latter has firmly cemented the reasoning for why I think Korean women have great legs.
  • A funny/endearing fact: several of my co-teachers are extremely fond of the movie The Dead Poets Society and aspire to be like the teacher Robin Williams portrays.

So, that’s it for now. Soon I will be writing about my life outside of school. Namely, my recent excursions into Seoul – this last weekend having seen what was promised to be a tranny burlesque show, but was really a trannies lip-syncing to music show. It was still pretty amazing.

15 comments:

  1. I think I aspire to be a character in a Robin Williams film too: Matt Damon in "Good Will Hunting". Or is it Robin Williams in "Mrs. Doubtfire"?

    Amazing post. Still no Korean doctor story, but an amazing post. Also, I'm brainstorming for my own potential blog.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I can't imagine such hours in/at school in the US. Do these kids have ANY social life outside of school? Egads.

    Fascinating stuff Miss R.

    L’Shana Tovah and Eid Mubarak!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I want more facts!

    ..or observations at that. So interesting...10pm...that's ridic staying in that long.

    and here's my blog: invite yourself haha

    http://theworldisourblank.blogspot.com/

    ReplyDelete
  4. Wait, are you cutting out poultry and fish, too? Where do you get your protein?
    I'm unclear about something: "One class is for all the English teachers in the school..." is this a class you teach? Aren't all the English teachers native English speakers?
    Dead Poet's Society is one of my favorite movies of all time, easily in my Top 10. One of my college professors said he hated that movie because Robin Williams set a ridiculously high standard for all teachers.
    -Ian

    ReplyDelete
  5. I know, i know-- the Korean doctor. But honestly, it's not as exciting as you might think.

    Yes, get to school around 7, leave at 10pm. the freshman and sophomores ALSO attend school every other saturday and the seniors attend every other saturday and every sunday (because of the college entrace exam they need to take, apparently.)

    So, no. These students do not have lives outside of school. I also just found out that winter and summer "vacation" just means that they're still at school, just not taking as many classes. it's exasperating just to write about it!

    Since it's a public school, I'm the only native English teacher in the entire school. Private schools, or hogwans, employ several native English teachers.

    ReplyDelete
  6. oh-- and a shana tova to you too! ;)

    right- no poultry or fish (except tuna)...eating lots of fruits and vegetables. and rice. always rice. my chopstick abilities might be surpassing yours, brandon-- imagine that!

    ReplyDelete
  7. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Sorry about deleting the last post. I was just saying, I'm imagining you in a zen garden sitting with a frog in front of you. You're so adept at using chopsticks that you can use them to pick flies out of the air one by one to feed the frog.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Hey, I just finished reading everything in one fell swoop! Just want to concur with everyone else, the writing is fantastic and I am enjoying this immensely! Also, this sounds like you are having an exciting, fun, and madly infuriating time over there. What a great adventure!

    ReplyDelete
  10. I could make a very chauvinist joke right now about Korean schoolgirls being put to clean and work, but I won't. Instead, I'll just say this: I can't wait to read more about your adventures, Renee!

    ReplyDelete
  11. Justin-- glad you're enjoying it! Fun and madly infuriating is a great way to describe my experiences out here so far, haha.

    And Jose-- alluding to making a chauvinist joke is WORSE than actually making it! how frustrating you can be. ;)

    ReplyDelete
  12. don't worry, Jose-you know how chicks can be!

    ReplyDelete
  13. LOL..I love your comment about squat toilets and nice legs! haha...thanks for the giggle

    ReplyDelete
  14. Ellie-- I appreciate your feedback. Seriously-- it *has* to be at least part of the reason why Korean women have killer legs!

    ReplyDelete