9.23.2009

Oh right...context

Sometimes when I’m tired as a result of my complete lack of self-control (read: staying up til 2am because somehow watching America’s Next Top Model w/Korean subtitles seemed like a good idea)… I get to talking to my co-teachers and they’ll ask me how to correctly say ‘spill your beans’ or they’ll laugh at my genuine attempts to say something in Korean, because they think it’s sweet… I start to drift nd always end up thinking about everyone and everything I miss in America. I’ll think about the last weekend’s adventure in Seoul- and how when I saw a group of Ghanaian men walking down the street, I get to feeling nostalgic. That’s right, I feel nostalgic when I see black people. In the midst of all this precious drifting, I’ll realize that I’m quietly mumbling my thoughts. Ms. Kang, who sits to the right of me, will then ask me why I feel nostalgic about black people since I come from America, and there aren’t many black people in America, are there? I’ll enlighten her, after pinching myself (just to make sure) and tell her that yes, there are hundreds, maybe even thousands, hell- maybe even millions of black people in America! Her eyes will grow into saucers and she’ll ask me how I felt living with so many people that didn’t look like me. I’ll try to articulate the treasures of diversity and how often times, I felt like I was in a movie walking through Harlem and the Village and Brooklyn, watching some of the most beautiful people in the world look at the other most beautiful people in the world. She’ll say “Harlem? Isn’t that where the N-words live? How do you understand what they’re saying?”

Except she didn’t say ‘the N-words’ – she said the real thing. Like it was a vocabulary word she picked up in a book for advanced ESL students. Before I launch into how I can actually understand ‘those N-words’ and how the way they talk is a vernacular of the American English language, not a speech impediment, I adamantly, adamantly inform her that the word she so carelessly shot out of her mouth has more gravity than the plastic surgery problem in Korea. Because who else is going to tell her? My other co-teacher? Ms. Lee, who, as sweet as she is, tries to convince me everyday at lunch that eating red meat is good for me and once, for a welcoming dinner took me to a local restaurant known for its meat dishes and sat right next to me eating dog stew as I sat slack-jawed before my ‘special meatless dish’ that had pork piled all over it? (yeah, that really happened) No, it was my responsibility. So I pulled out my pocket American flag and waved it around as I tamed the natives around me, spouting out American triumphs, ideals, history…

Or at least that’s how I felt as I calmly let Ms. Kang know that she shouldn’t ever use that word, never ever. And why. I’d never been put in a position where I had to tell another human adult that one shouldn’t say such a horrible word. And then I remembered.

Oh right…context. I’m in Korea, remember? She could have just as easily been explaining to me that I shouldn’t ever use the word “gook”. Never ever. And she could have told me why. And I would have left school appreciative of this new and important knowledge.

And then I would be sad.

Because before coming here, I thought that if I were around people who only spoke Korean all of the time, I’d eventually pick up the language and would sufficiently understand what was going on around me. I’ve learned, that’s not how it works. Most of the time, I feel as though I’m in a giant fish tank and all I hear are other fish murmuring and burbling through the water. Communication is muted at best and any occasional eye contact is watery- our filters for vision were born worlds apart.

But then I see the underbelly. Last Friday night I was a stranger in a strange land… in a strange land. I went to a drag queen show and ordered a ‘gintonic’ from a 6’5 Korean tranny. And somehow it was the most at ease I’d felt in some time since moving here. I have to allow for the obvious differences though. Like when the two people in front of me pointed at the beautiful drag queen’s package, covered their mouths and laughed uproariously. That sort of behavior is hard to find in comparable NYC clubs—or at least the ones I’ve been to. You’ll see for yourself, I’ll be putting up a video soon—and you’ll see they put on a good show. Even though it was 2:30am and my slip was starting to show, they made feeling like a stranger in a strange land… worth it.

7 comments:

  1. Your posts keep getting better! I've rarely seen "the n-word", "gook" and "tranny" used so eloquently.

    I've had similar experiences with foreign perceptions of black people. When I was walking through the college town of Padova in Italy, I saw an advertisement for some fashion line (something like Gucci or Bvlgari) with a white woman painted in blackface. The context of early-20th century American racism isn't understood over there. Another time, I was taking a couple of Taiwanese business associates through a tour of Chicago, and we spent a little time driving through the South Side to drive past Barack Obama's house. I warned them that we would be going through some rough neighborhoods, and they asked, "Are these neighborhoods bad because of the black people?" While I'm on the subject, I heard that the movie District 9 has parallels to South African apartheid. I guess I should see it.

    ReplyDelete
  2. "That's right, I feel nostalgic when I see black people". - I think I laughed for 10 minutes.
    "She'll ask me how I felt living with so many people who didn't look like me." Obviously, that doesn't bother you since that you're doing, y'know, *right now*.
    I just want to say her heart is in the right place, because red meat does have a ton of protein and iron, which is good for you. I'm just sayin'.
    Actually, they say the best way to learn a language is by total immerssion. If you listened to nothing but Korean, you'd probably pick it up pretty well after a few months. Conversing in English at all inevitably inhibits you. But you're there to teach English, so that can't be helped.
    -Ian

    ReplyDelete
  3. your american flag and saving the natives part was just gold. SO FUNNY. & based on your post, it seems us Americans are really priveleged to live in such a diverse culture. makes me feel a lot more well-rounded :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Are we really diverse or just use to pointing out obvious differences. Love your posts.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Anonymous: I'm assuming you're American? You make a good point. Sometimes I forget that not everyone lives in NYC in America. I would say that NYC, at least, is genuinely diverse. Elsewhere, aside from the other big 2: Chicago and L.A. -- you may be right.

    Thanks for taking an interest. :)

    ReplyDelete
  6. Renee,
    wow so muh how these little conutry can reall make you look from the inside out I know being in the most dangours place on earth when it was bad and people shooting at me and trying to kill me for what i have took the oth to stand for and that is everyone freedom and now you can kind of see how life is away from america it sucks it makes you sick to your stomac because we know how good we really do have it at home its nothing like getting up at 4 am and knowing that we go on runs of 4 plus miles and i ever step that i take i know my steps have ment something to america even at time i dont feel like pushing on and when my body is wore to the last tear and sweat of blood that i have just picked up from the person that i have killed for the same reason why he is trying to kill me and its all because of money we pay them so they want more and then they kill us until we pay them more it a messed up situation i though i would kind of post a comment here for you but belive me i know how thoes countries are and dont let it get to you ive delt with alot worse conditions and im still alive i should be dead the hands of god has kept me alive to meet my son and my baby girl on the way but then again being so close to a person that was just like sadam its a crazy thing to well ill stop talking now well take care renee if you ever want to swap stories i have a ton to tell.

    always chris

    ReplyDelete
  7. Chris--

    I would love to swap stories with you! I can only imagine what tales you have to tell-- most likely a lot scarier than mine. It goes without saying that I'm glad you've remained safe and have been able to see your family, though I know others haven't been so lucky. What worries me the most about military that return to the states-- is their mental condition. A lot of military suffer from PTSD as I'm sure you know and unfortunately, from what I've heard, there isn't enough support for returning service people, which makes me so depressed to think about. What are your thoughts on the subject?

    Anyway, I'm glad you're doing well. Are you back in the states for good? Or will you have to do another tour? And what do you when you're back at home?

    Love,
    ~ renee

    ReplyDelete