12.24.2009

Ghost Stories and Random Things of Note


  • I was a venerable American ghost for one full evening. My bank called me to let me know that I needed to physically go back to the bank and pay my transmittance fee for my recent transfer of funds to the States. They couldn’t just take it out of my account? Anyway. I get to the bank and try to the use the ATM. 1st machine didn’t work. Move on to the next. Same thing. Move on to the next. Same thing. A Korean teller comes out and tries her hand….voila—Korean magic strikes again! Confused, she takes my hand and physically puts it on the touchscreen. Nothing. She uses her Korean fingers again. It works. She feels my fingertips and loudly stammers, “You have no fingerprints.”
    Coming home from Christmas gimbap night in Seoul, I take the bus from Sadang that drops me off right in front of my school (which is great, since my apartment is only a 5 min. walk from there) – I try to be polite and let an old man walk in front of me to exit the bus first. He stops to press the red button again, realizing the next stop is his. I move past him toward the exit when the bus driver, looking right at me, closes the door. I yell “Yogi! Yogi!” – (here, here), not knowing what else to say, but he continues on in his Korean-bus-driver-robotic way until the next stop where I make sure to be first in line. It sucks being an American ghost.
  • To all my Jewish friends: get ready to laugh. At my last English teacher class, we got on the subject of relationships (this comes up a lot). When I told them that I used to date a Jewish guy and that I have a special Yiddish name: shikse (non-Jewish woman), they looked at me and laughed saying, “You were his meal?” Shikse (shik-suh) is the exact same word for ‘meal’ in Korean. How bout that.
  • Christmas Eve. I generally greet the students with the usual “good morning/afternoon, how are you?” and scold them if they say “fine and YOU?” or “so-so”, telling them they sound like textbook robots or applauding their use of correct normal, everyday English responses. But today, several students have responded saying “sad, teacher.” Why sad? It’s Christmas Eve! “Stay til 10pm, teacher.” Oh. So I’ve been hauling out even more candy than usual, hoping to lift their spirits with momentary distractions of sweetness.
    It’s still sad though.
  • I’ve officially booked my tickets for Vietnam! Stopover in Hong Kong there and back, 10 days alone in this beautiful country. Much research and visa-getting to do, but for the moment, I’m dreaming of Saigon and Halong Bay.

It’s perhaps unnecessary to write here, but despite my Saigon dreams and lost in translation distractions, I’d still give anything to be in Chicago, Ann Arbor and NYC for the holidays. Alas.

Merry Christmas everyone!

5 comments:

  1. Ah, Vietnam! If you want some easy company to show you around Saigon, I can hook you up! Saigon is worth dreaming about :)

    Finding your observations on Korea so interesting. I just read a chapter in Outliers (if you haven't read it) about why Korea Air kept crashing in the 1990's and thought of your blog. Apparently the pilots used to be too deferential to authority to let the air traffic controllers know when they were in trouble
    (or something like that). Interesting.

    janice

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh no, you had rubber hands and an invisible voice! That must have been horrifying. :(

    Don't buy that Lonely Planet guide to Vietnam - a care package will be on its way to you soon enough.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Janice-- I would be very interested to meet this 'easy company' in Saigon!! :) You're right- Saigon definitely seems worthy of dreaming of. Have you been? And I'm sorry, I forget where you said you were teaching English. Which country was it?

    Re: Korean Air. I had NO idea about that. As tragic as that story is, it's unfortunately very believable. Pride and saving face is such a social priority here- it's unfathomable to any non-Korean.

    Brandon: thank you. :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hey Renee~ I taught in Saigon for 2 years! I have some good friends that never left and just love showing people around (they're all Viet-American guys- the white girls eventually all leave as much as we love the place :)! When are you going there? It's probably easiest if I find you on facebook before you leave since they're all on there. Halong Bay and Sapa are lovely too... janice

    ReplyDelete
  5. Oh wow! You actually taught *in* Vietnam. Let me try to find you on facebook-- for some reason it's not working right now (not letting me log in), but will try as soon as its up and running again. I really appreciate the connections (in advance)! Haven't heard of Sapa (probably shows how much I know about Vietnam)-- will research it as well.

    Thanks, Janice. :)

    ReplyDelete